The End of Cinema

In Anne Friedberg’s article The End of Cinema: Multimedia and Technological Change she describes all the technological changes and advancements that have been made over the years and its effects on cinema. We have come a long way from when we first started making films in the late 1800’s. “The movie screen, the home television screen, and the computer screen retain their separate locations, yet the types of images you see on each of them are losing their medium-based specificity.” All of us can understand this statement. I think of how we can rent Casablaca on Netflix, have it streamed through the internet to play and watch it on our T.V. screen. When Casablanca was released in 1942 it was a very different movie going experience.

The three things that have transformed televisual viewing is the VCR, Cable and the remote control. With the VCR and the remote, viewers have the ability to edit at their fingertips, they can pause, mute, rewind, fast forward commercials and even change what they are viewing, without even getting off the couch. I don’t know when this article was written but she mentions the DVD will be the new VCR, and that is exactly what has happened. Some people say blueray player will beat DVD. But I think it’s important now to include Tivo and DVR. They are transforming television viewing.

Also we have to take a look at digital cameras and video recorders, and computer programs, or the MAC which makes it easy for anyone to edit a produce mini “productions”.

I don’t believe technological advancements are leading to the death of cinema, I feel it is drastically changing cinema, and making it more difficult for Cinema to independently define itself.

Published in: on May 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm Comments (3)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://shana.qwriting.qc.cuny.edu/2010/05/05/the-end-of-cinema/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

3 Comments Leave a comment.

1. on May 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm dana318 Said:

I agree with what you are saying about technology not being the death of cinema, just changing it. Especially with our generation, its weird to see how far along technology has actually come since the vcr and basic cable. The comment you made about the mac computer I especially agree with. It makes it possible for anyone to create films and with outlets such as youtube, even easier to get them noticed.

2. on May 12, 2010 at 8:10 pm kayeco Said:

Its amazing to see how far along technology has come.I feel like technological advances are leading cinema into a different direction. The advances have come so quickly that its kind of hard to accept, especially with HD camera and computer programs anyone can pretend to be the next Steven Spielberg.

3. on August 14, 2014 at 3:41 pm call of duty ghosts hack no download Said:

If I wanted that I would play paintball with my friends.
    To answer that question, if the player is a new-comer to the
    series, the game can be enjoyed for the experience that it offers.
    The Napalm Strike was a great offensive and defensive streak reward that was different, but was not overpowered.